PAULA EGBERS, FREELANCE DESIGN AND PUBLISHING. 2015-present
• Specializing in marketing, design, production, copywriting, editing and quality assurance services.
NUTRITIONAL MEDICINALS. 2015-2015
806 C East Franklin Street, Centerville, OH 45459 / www.functionalformularies.com
• Assisting a former LPK co-worker and his wife, who founded a start-up company which sells Liquid Hope®—the world’s first commercially available shelf-stable, nutritionally complete, whole foods, organic, plant-based, enteral feeding tube formula and meal replacement.
• Answer phones and direct calls for customers who, or have loved ones who, often have serious medical issues, such as cancer or ALS, and are seeking the best nutrition for use in feeding tubes or oral feeding.
• Inform customers about our insurance advocates, who provide free assistance to secure insurance coverage for Liquid Hope.
• Process orders as procedures and needs constantly evolve, assist with graphic design of supporting print materials, and creating a training manual for future hires.
CINCINNATI NATURE CENTER. 2012-2015
4949 Tealtown Road, Milford, OH 45150 / www.CincyNature.org
Publications & Online Media Manager
• Led website redesign, consulted with staff to determine the navigation and page layout priorities. With the Director of Marketing and Membership, hired a website design company to deliver an updated design and new mobile website.
• Elevated social media presence, focusing on Facebook. Doubled the amount of Facebook page likes per year, and increased shares, average post likes and engagement.
• Featured at an Interact for Health nonprofit social media workshop, Social Media for the Social Good, where CNC was one of two local organizations whose website and Facebook page were shown as examples of a job well done.
• Worked with all departments to manage and deliver up-to-date website and publication content. Updated the design of printed materials and began creating guidelines to create a consistent look for the CNC brand. Updated the design template of Constant Contact emails and monthly eBlasts.
• Redesigned the quarterly Newsleaf publication (the printer became FSC-certified to keep our business). Implemented a digital Newsleaf edition (creating hyperlinks in InDesign and using a vendor to publish) to encourage members to go paperless.
• Managed marketing intern and a volunteer to help with calendar submissions and emails.
• Designed the Branch Out logo and look for CNC’s travel program, and designed the Milkweed to Monarchs logo and look to promote an awareness inititative/action campaign to plant milkweed to increase the monarch butterfly population.
• Increased natural history knowledge and nature identification skills, learned to tag monarch butterflies.
• Supported event staff at outreach, member and fundraising events.
LIBBY PERSYZK KATHMAN (LPK). 1997-2012
19 Garfield Place, Cincinnati, OH 45219 / www.lpk.com
Design Adaptation Director. 2010-12
• Provided InDesign consultation for LPK interactive brand guidelines, SUNY brochure and Bayer user manuals (also enrolled by request to keep costs low, resulting in 1/5 of the time it took previously).
• Directed and delivered Pampers print adaptation solutions. Efficiency contributed to being up to 15% under budget, which enabled the team to hold client “wow” meetings to promote capabilities. Led Adobe InCopy
testing and purchased TextExporter, which increased translation document setup time efficiency by 350%.
• Supported packaging and product graphics teams. Released design intent templates and determined color specifications based on Epson proofs.
Implementation Specialist/Production Artist. 2000-10
• Managed and executed Pampers implementation of 420+ print pieces over 3 years. Consulted with vendors, developed color builds, approved proofs. Provided kickoff consultations, initiated art reviews, released art. Revamped digital brand library and training materials. Engaged in new team member training, supervised production freelancers. Sparked image re-organization with design lead, served on the digital image librarian hiring committee. Delivered Pampers print presentation at department meeting. Collaborated with team to evolve processes.
• Worked with The Nature Conservancy editor to roll out Ohio chapter newsletters, fact sheets and signage. Spun out the design for Between Person and Place, Conservation Histories from the Kennebec Land Trust based on an approved spread, coordinated approvals, responsible for press check.
• Expedited LPK Marketing brand briefs, LPK cards and biographies. Led production of projects including Design Management Institute, Cincinnati Parks, United Cerebral Palsy of Greater Cincinnati.
• Learned necessary software programs to enable a transition to the Production Department.
• Produced print pieces for The Nature Conservancy, Coalition for a Drug-Free Cincinnati, Kentucky Symphony Orchestra and NCR Teradata. Partnered with team leads to adapt designs across print, in-store and packaging for Pantene, Physique, Herbal Essences and Morningstar Farms.
• Oversaw global Pantene packaging production excellence on 700+ files. Collaborated with separator and internal team to develop technical standards. Wrote process manual and assisted with design guidelines, category audits and competitive shelf sets. Because of success in reducing P&G Pantene Quality Incident errors, my role became a catalyst for company-wide graphic proofing and brand health checks.
Copywriter/Copy Editor/Proofreader. 1997-99
• Hired as a proofreader for P&G’s Co-Marketing Program, quickly transitioned to copywriter/copy editor. Concepted, wrote and edited multi-brand direct mail, merging brand equity and consumer benefits.
• Assisted copywriters with print and packaging brand copy brainstorming.
UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI: Bachelor of Science in Humanities (English and Biology), Writing Certificate
GREATER CINCINNATI MASTER GARDENER PROGRAM: Coursework Certificate
CINCINNATI CIVIC GARDEN CENTER: Community Garden Development Training Certificate
THIS-LAND.ORG: Permaculture Design Certificate
Constant Contact—email marketing; Adobe InDesign, InCopy, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat—design software; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube—social media; Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Publisher—office software; WordPress—self-hosted website version as well as free blog version.
—VOLUNTEER & ACTIVITIES—
BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS OF CINCINNATI. 2012-2014
Served as a Big Sister: went on outings, played board games, made art projects and more.
OHIO ALLEYCAT RESOURCE & SPAY/NEUTER CLINIC. 2006-2012
Designed the logo, adoption flyer templates, fundraising materials and Cafe Press shop items.
LPK ACTIVITIES. 1997-2012
Safety Committee and Sustainability Committee member; participant in LPK-sponsored activities, including the Mini-Heart Marathon, Adopt-a-Child at Christmas, Freestore Foodbank Thanksgiving drive and Cincinnati Parks plantings; LPK tennis organizer for two years.
HAMILTON COUNTY PARK DISTRICT. 2003
Shaker Trace Nursery volunteer. Planted, transplanted, weeded and collected seed.
CINCINNATI ZOO AND BOTANICAL GARDENS. 1992
Summer internship. Prepared food, cleaned and fed animals in Wildlife Canyon and the African Veldt.